Quantcast

jstat and jps do not function with wrapper

jstat and jps do not function with wrapper

Ryan Kogelheide
I see that there's an old post asking how to use jps / jstat with the wrapper, but I'm not sure how it was resolved (the link is stale). Does anyone remember?

jps never finds the wrapped JVM and jstat <pid> always returns <pid> not found.

I can get jstack to work with the wrapper using SysInternal's psexec -s. psexec -s puts the user in the LocalSystem context, but this does not help with jps / jstat.

There's some indication in various forums that these utilities are sensitive to the availability of the hsperfdata directory. For the wrapper, I found this directory in C:\Windows\Temp\hsperfdata_<machine>$. I tried setting the -J-Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\Windows\Temp" to the jstat and jps command line, but this did not help.

Any advice would be welcome.

Re: jstat and jps do not function with wrapper

Isenberg, Holger
If you are using the Wrapper on Windows to launch your application as Windows Service, then current Windows versions since Vista are protecting the Service process from access by others via UAC.

Some description and workarounds, though the workaround don't work any more on Windows 2012 I guess:

If your Windows isn't using very restricted UAC, then you might have luck with changing the service user name from SYSTEM to a new user and launch jstat after logged in as that user.

--
Holger Isenberg
e-Spirit AG

T: +49 231 477 77 331
F: +49 231 477 77 499
M: +49 178 280 81 64
[hidden email]
http://e-spirit.com

Sitz des Unternehmens: Barcelonaweg 14 | 44269 Dortmund
Vorstand: Jörn Bodemann (Vors.) | Johannes Häusele | Christoph Junge
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Michael Kenfenheuer
Amtsgericht Dortmund (HRB 20399)