WrapperManager.exec() is using fork() on Red Hat Enterprise Linux with WrapperProcessConfig.POSIX_SPAWN set

WrapperManager.exec() is using fork() on Red Hat Enterprise Linux with WrapperProcessConfig.POSIX_SPAWN set

Isenberg, Holger
Our Java based server application is bundled with Tanuki Wrapper since years and used on different Linux distributions at customer locations. Recently we observed Out Of Memory issues when launching external processes, a problem which was already solved years ago with WrapperManager.exec(). However, with Red Hat 6.5 and newer, fork() is used. I haven't analyzed it in detail yet, but assume Red Hat has removed posix_spawn() or just forwards it to fork().

As Java 8 is now offering posix_spawn(), too, I'll try that as workaround:
http://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=5049299
JDK-5049299 : (process) Use posix_spawn, not fork, on S10 to avoid swap exhaustion
Resolved Date: 2013-08-13
Fixed Versions: 8 (b105)

For launching the external process, Java 8 is using a similar method as Tanuki as it first starts an external process (jdk/jre/lib/jspawnhelper). Maybe falling back to this might be an option for Tanuki, too?

This sample apparently uses fork() on Red Hat 6.5 and newer:

String[] cmd = {"/bin/ls", "/tmp"};
WrapperProcessConfig wpc = new WrapperProcessConfig().setDetached(false).setStartType(WrapperProcessConfig.POSIX_SPAWN);
WrapperProcess p = org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager.exec(cmd, wpc);
int result = p.waitFor();

--
Holger Isenberg
Professional Services

T: +49 231 477 77 331
M: +49 178 280 81 64
Fax: +49 231 477 77 499
[hidden email]
http://e-spirit.com

+++
News für Content-Strategen: Jetzt abonnieren! http://www.e-spirit.com/newsletter
Digitales Marketing mit FirstSpirit http://www.e-spirit.com/digitalmarketing
+++

Sitz des Unternehmens: Stockholmer Allee 24 | 44269 Dortmund
Vorstand: Jörn Bodemann (Vors.) | Udo Sträßer | Christoph Junge
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Michael Kenfenheuer
Amtsgericht Dortmund (HRB 20399)