Startup failed: Timed out waiting for a signal from the JVM.

Ani

Startup failed: Timed out waiting for a signal from the JVM.

Ani
Hello,
I have a need to install my java program as a windows service and  on stop of the service I need to do some clean up activity by placing a shutdown hook. I have tried this with normal window service installation process but I couldn't achieve . After goggling I come to know about Java service wrapper using which a shutdown hook can be called on service stop.
I have downloaded community edition .
To brief about my application , my java program is a embedded jetty server , which when called upon , starts jetty server and do the initialization and start of spring container.I have @predestroy methods in spring classes which I hope should   get called on service stop.

I have integrated JSW with nromal method provided on website and also with integration method number 3.  I have configured the parameters stated in wrapper.conf. It starts the program as expected how ever it gives error [Startup failed: Timed out waiting for a signal from the JVM.] of JVM and loops on restarting the service again and again.

I have attached wrapper.con in attachment and fExcerpt of the log below in email:

C:\Users\aniruddha.jadhao\Downloads\sample service\bin>wrapper.exe  -c ..\conf\wrapper.conf
wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
wrapper  | Java Service Wrapper Community Edition 32-bit 3.5.17
wrapper  |   Copyright (C) 1999-2012 Tanuki Software, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
wrapper  |
wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: WrapperManager class initialized by thread: main   Using classloader: sun.misc.Launcher
$AppClassLoader@197d257
jvm 1    | WrapperManager: Initializing...
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: JVM #1
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Running a 32-bit JVM.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager package information:
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Implementation Title: org.tanukisoftware.wrapper
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Implementation Vendor: Tanuki Software, Ltd.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Implementation Version: 3.5.17
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Is Sealed?: False
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager protection domain:
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Location: file:/C:/Users/aniruddha.jadhao/Downloads/sample%20service/lib/wrapper.jar
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:     Size: 119,365
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:     MD5: c979b81cda04e489ba26fe2f0d13e18c
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Registering shutdown hook
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Using wrapper
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Registered MBean with Platform MBean Server: org.tanukisoftware.wrapper:type=WrapperMan
ager
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Load native library.  There are multiple possible file names and the first to be found
will be used.  Errors loading non-existing files is normal and is only a problem if they all fail.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Attempt to load native library with name: wrapper-windows-x86-32.dll  Result: no wrap
per-windows-x86-32 in java.library.path
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Attempt to load native library with name: wrapper.dll  Result: Success!
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:   Successfully loaded native library.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Loaded localized resources.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Calling native initialization method.
jvm 1    | WrapperJNI Debug: Initializing WrapperManager native library.
jvm 1    | WrapperJNI Debug: Java Executable: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\java.exe
jvm 1    | WrapperJNI Debug: Native Library: C:\Users\aniruddha.jadhao\Downloads\sample service\lib\wrapper.dll
jvm 1    | WrapperJNI Debug: Windows version: 6.1.7601
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Java Version   : 1.7.0_21-b11 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Java VM Vendor : Oracle Corporation
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: OS Name        : Windows 7
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: OS Arch        : x86
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug:
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Control event monitor thread started.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Startup runner thread started.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: WrapperManager.start(a com.ast.server.EmbeddedJettyServer, args[]) called by thread: m
ain
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Initial thread: main Priority: 5
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Communications runner thread started.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Open socket to wrapper...Wrapper-Connection
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Opened Socket from 31,000 to 32,000
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Send a packet KEY : uL26WdplaMcwyKiO
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: handleBackend()
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Received a packet LOW_LOG_LEVEL : 1
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: LowLogLevel from Wrapper is 1
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Received a packet LOGFILE : ..\logs\wrapper.log
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Received a packet PROPERTIES : (Property Values)
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Received a packet START : start
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Java temporary directory: C:\Users\ANIRUD~1.JAD\AppData\Local\Temp
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: calling WrapperListener.start()
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: WrapperListener.start runner thread started.
jvm 1    | WrapperManager Debug: Application start main thread: WrapperListener_start_runner Priority: 5
.
.
.
.
.
.
wrapper  | Startup failed: Timed out waiting for a signal from the JVM.
wrapper  |
wrapper  | ------------------------------------------------------------------------
wrapper  | Advice:
wrapper  | The Wrapper consists of a native component as well as a set of classes
wrapper  | which run within the JVM that it launches.  The Java component of the
wrapper  | Wrapper must be initialized promptly after the JVM is launched or the
wrapper  | Wrapper will timeout, as just happened.  Most likely the main class
wrapper  | specified in the Wrapper configuration file is not correctly initializing
wrapper  | the Wrapper classes:
wrapper  |   com.ast.server.EmbeddedJettyServer
wrapper  | While it is possible to do so manually, the Wrapper ships with helper
wrapper  | classes to make this initialization processes automatic.
wrapper  | Please review the integration section of the Wrapper's documentation
wrapper  | for the various methods which can be employed to launch an application
wrapper  | within the Wrapper:
wrapper  | ------------------------------------------------------------------------
wrapper  |
wrapper  | JVM did not exit on request, terminated

Is there configuration am I missing for it?
--Ani
Pl Save the environment. Please don't print this email unless you really need to.

wrapper.conf (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Startup failed: Timed out waiting for a signal from the JVM.

Christian Mueller-13
Hi Ani,

thank you for your interest in the Java Service Wrapper.

Please change the following property in your conf file:
wrapper.java.mainclass=com.ast.server.EmbeddedJettyServer
to:
wrapper.java.mainclass=org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp

And also change:
#wrapper.app.parameter.1=
to:
wrapper.app.parameter.1=com.ast.server.EmbeddedJettyServer

there is also a typo:
wrapper.java.additional.8-DpublicIP=
should be changed to:
wrapper.java.additional.8=-DpublicIP=

I think with this changes, you should be able to launch your application properly.

Thank you,

Christian Mueller
Tanuki Software, Ltd.

Shawn Yan