Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Davide Silvestre

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for your reply.

We are installing the services in the right way and we run them as Window services.

This issue occurs only on 1 server "Windows Server 2012 Standard". We have many services on this server running as services (about 100). Sometimes that error prevents us to be able to start a service. Then if I stop another service then I am able to start it. It is like we have reached a maximum number of services?

I thought about that maybe we were running out of ports, but when we have this case we can detect this from the wrapper log.

Davide

Hi Davide,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

I don't recommend to use the "-s" parameter to start the Wrapper as a service.
In fact, if you execute "wrapper.exe -s..." you should see this message:
The -s and --service commands should only be called by the Windows
ServiceManager to control the Wrapper as a service, and is not
designed to be run manually by the user.

Instead you can use the batch files that we specially created for that. They are located in %WRAPPER_HOME%\src\bin.

Please have a look at this page: http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/launch-win.html

Basically, you should:

- copy the batch files where wrapper.exe is

- rename the batch files

- install the service using the batch file

- start the service using the batch file

I hope this will help you. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

In case you would like to send your configuration file and keep it private, you can contact us here: [hidden email]

Regards,

Alexandre Klein

Alexandre Klein

Tanuki Software, Ltd.

6-16-7-1001 Nishi-Kasai, Edogawa-ku

Tokyo 134-0088 Japan

Tel: +81-3-3878-3211

Fax: +81-3-3878-0313

http://www.tanukisoftware.com

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:49 PM, Davide Silvestre <[hidden email]> wrote:

I forgot to mention the wrapper and java versions:

wrapper version: 3.5.24

java version: 7u72

Davide

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Davide Silvestre

Hi again,

As we have many Windows services running and as I have experienced that I have to stop one to be able to start another one, could my issue be related to the desktop heap size?

The values in the registry for a non interactive desktop is 768:

SharedSection=1024,20480,768

and as far as I can read there should be no upper limit in the total memory that can be used (48 MB in the old days).

I still experience this issue when I start the services from time to time and the error is still the same.

wrapper  | 2015/03/24 11:22:04 | Allocating a console for the service.

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2015/03/24 11:22:04 | ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)

Davide

I have installed an application as windows service using the wrapper on a Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

I can start the application from the command line without problems using the following command

>> [wrapper_path]\wrapper-windows-x86-64.exe -c [application_path]\app.conf

But when I start it as a service (same command with -s) if fails with the following error:

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | --> Wrapper Started as Service

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | Allocating a console for the service.

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | <-- Wrapper Stopped

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | active log file changed: wrapper.log

I read that somebody else encountered the same issue because the Path variable contained some unresolvable references, but this doesn't seem to be my case.

Any inputs?

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Leif Mortenson-3
Davide,
There are not any direct limits that I am aware of on the number of services.  Although 100 is impressive.  Are these all with the Wrapper?
There are however some system resource limits, but they are quite large.  Number of file handles, etc.

This is the same issue that you talked with Alexandre about last week?

I had done some looking around last week and found the following:

The AllocConsole is not documented to result in the ERROR_GEN_FAILURE error (#31=0x1f).
But the AttachConsole will throw this error if the process it is to attach to does not exist.

I would imagine that AllocConsole could internally call AttachConsole to attache it after it is created.  But that is a guess.

We have not yet found anything really useful on this however.  The text of the system message seems a little misleading.

Is this a physical server or a virtual machine?

Is it possible that there is a device connected to the system that is missbehaving?  Have you checked the Event Log to see if there are any warnings or errors?

Cheers,
Leif

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Davide Silvestre <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B81-3-3878-3211" value="+81338783211" target="_blank">+81-3-3878-3211

Fax: <a href="tel:%2B81-3-3878-0313" value="+81338780313" target="_blank">+81-3-3878-0313

http://www.tanukisoftware.com

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:49 PM, Davide Silvestre <[hidden email]> wrote:

I forgot to mention the wrapper and java versions:

wrapper version: 3.5.24

java version: 7u72

Davide

I have installed an application as windows service using the wrapper on a Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

I can start the application from the command line without problems using the following command

>> [wrapper_path]\wrapper-windows-x86-64.exe -c [application_path]\app.conf

But when I start it as a service (same command with -s) if fails with the following error:

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | --> Wrapper Started as Service

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | Allocating a console for the service.

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | <-- Wrapper Stopped

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | active log file changed: wrapper.log

I read that somebody else encountered the same issue because the Path variable contained some unresolvable references, but this doesn't seem to be my case.

Any inputs?

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Davide Silvestre

Hi Leif,

Yes, we have many Windows services running with the tanukisoft wrapper.

It is physical server with a 2 Xeon E5 CPU’s and 128GB of ram.

So it should be able to handle a high load, but if it is enough I do not know.

We are not aware of any device connected to this server.

I checked the Event Log and I cannot see any warnings errors related to this.

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B81-3-3878-3211" target="_blank">+81-3-3878-3211

Fax: <a href="tel:%2B81-3-3878-0313" target="_blank">+81-3-3878-0313