Java service wrapper cannot start application as a service

Java service wrapper cannot start application as a service

Adrian Ganea
Good morning,

We have an Adobe Connect installation based on Java Service Wrapper Standard Edition 64bit  3.3.9.
The operating system which the application runs on is Windows Server 2008R2 Standard Edition. ​
After trying to install windows updates and restarting the machine, we noticed that the Adobe Connect Service(ConnectProService) couldn't be started using services.msc - it immediately threw the error message "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".
The only error that is thrown in wrapper.log is "wrapper | Error | Unable to expand prompt - a device attached to the system is not functioning". The problem is that we reverted(using a VM snapshot from a day ago) the updates and we still have the issues. We also tried to do the installation on other machines on the same domain and we have the same issue, so I'm assuming that this can be caused by a GPO(we tried on an isolated test domain and it's working) issue.
We even ran procmon.exe(sysinternals) and it indicated the same issue - "Invalid device request".
For the moment we have a workaround - start ConnectProService in console mode(using -c switch) and all looks good with the application. Since the application is functioning properly using this switch, we believe there is a problem with the java service wrapper. Moreover, starting the application as a service doesn't even get to load the JVM, so playing with the wrapper.conf file didn't help too much(setting wrapper.debug=true, etc.).
Have you encountered this issue before? Any other ideas on what to try next?

Kind regards,
Adrian Ganea

Re: Java service wrapper cannot start application as a service

Alexandre Klein
Adrian,

Thank you for your message.

This error happens when the Wrapper tries to load the system environment variable from registry.
In your case, it seems that the Wrapper can get the values from the registry but the problem occurs when it tries to expand variables (i.e.  when it encounter a variable between '%'). In the log message we can see that it failed when resolving %prompt%.
This piece of code is executed only when the Wrapper is running as a service. That's why you don't see this error when running in console mode.

As you mentioned, this error happens before loading the JVM.

Based on this message "a device attached to the system is not functioning" (which is from the OS), is there any problems with your devices in the Device Manager?

Also, do you see any error messages in the Event Viewer?

Regards,
Alexandre Klein

Alexandre Klein
Tanuki Software, Ltd.
6-18-10-4F Nishi-Kasai, Edogawa-ku
Tokyo 134-0088 Japan

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Adrian Ganea <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you for your feedback!

Device manager was the first ​place I checked when I saw the error. Couldn't find any issues there - moreover, we have 2 web front ends for this application and both fail with the same error. As I said previously, we have the same error when trying to install on any new machine created in the same domain so this is why I believe this is not a hardware related problem(device not functioning, etc.) but rather it has something to do with OS configuration/change(group policies/a windows update that may cause the issue). Does this make any sense?

Event viewer captures only the 7000(the adobe connect service failed to start...) and 7009(a timeout was reached(30000) while waiting for the Adobe....) errors when trying to start the service. Still, the 7009 error is not relevant, that 30 seconds timeout is not reached, the error message pops up immediately.

Kind regards,
Adrian

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 6:15 AM, Alexandre Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​With regards to your suggestion about the %prompt% environment variable, we tried to do the call from powershell using [System.Environment]::ExpandEnvironmentVariables("%prompt%"). We added this in a powershell script and added a scheduled task that runs under local system account, just as the Adobe Connect Service is configured in services.msc. Unfortunately, this worked as expected - the name was expanded to the values that we can see in the registries.
Is there any way to try the above piece of code with a java call, to simulate what the wrapper does and see if we get any error message?

Kind regards,
Adrian

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Adrian Ganea <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for you tests.

Can you check in both locations for a key that has a value with %prompt%:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

There was a bug in the Wrapper if a defined environment variable would expand to a length larger than the 32k limit specified in the ExpandEnvironmentStrings system function. But if it was working before, it may not be the problem. It was fixed in version 3.5.7.

There was also another problem that was fixed in 3.5.5:
https://sourceforge.net/p/wrapper/bugs/244/

I think another good test would be to try a more recent version of the Wrapper:
https://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/download.jsp

Please try with 3.5.29 and let me know the result.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Adrian Ganea <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for you support.​ We've already checked both registry keys and they look good.
The strange thing is that we have some systems on which we have no issues and others on which the application cannot be started as a service, even though they have the exact same settings(registry wise, adobe connect application wise, etc.).

We also found out that removing the "prompt" environment variable from "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\.DEFAULT\Environment"(which is the registry entry for local system account's environment variables/ the service is configured to run under local system account identity) seems to fix the issue. In my opinion this workaround is not suitable since the environment variable could be again automatically added(we couldn't find information on how it gets added in the first place) to the registry or other applications/os components may rely on it.
This is clearly a bug related to this variable, but it seems to occur only in certain OS configurations and it is very difficult to isolate and troubleshoot.

Regarding your last suggestion, we will probably contact Adobe Connect support team and ask them to provide an installer based on the upgraded version of java service wrapper - we wouldn't try to put the farm into a potentially unsupported installation.

We'll let you know if we manage to fix this eventually.

Thanks,
Adrian

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Alexandre Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

When you download the Wrapper from our Website, it comes with a test application. Maybe you can try our test application.
After extracting the files, you may need to edit conf\wrapper.conf.
Then you can run:
bin\InstallTestWrapper-NT.bat
bin\StartTestWrapper-NT.bat

And to remove it:
bin\UninstallTestWrapper-NT.bat

Is it possible to let us know what was the value for prompt? Maybe we would be able to reproduce your problem. If it contains sensitive information, you can send us an email at [hidden email]