Quantcast

ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Davide Silvestre

Hi,

I have installed an application as windows service using the wrapper on a Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

I can start the application from the command line without problems using the following command

>> [wrapper_path]\wrapper-windows-x86-64.exe -c [application_path]\app.conf

But when I start it as a service (same command with -s) if fails with the following error:

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | --> Wrapper Started as Service

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | Allocating a console for the service.

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | <-- Wrapper Stopped

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | active log file changed: wrapper.log

I read that somebody else encountered the same issue because the Path variable contained some unresolvable references, but this doesn't seem to be my case.

Any inputs?

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Davide Silvestre

I forgot to mention the wrapper and java versions:

wrapper version: 3.5.24

java version: 7u72

Davide

I have installed an application as windows service using the wrapper on a Microsoft Windows Server 2012.

I can start the application from the command line without problems using the following command

>> [wrapper_path]\wrapper-windows-x86-64.exe -c [application_path]\app.conf

But when I start it as a service (same command with -s) if fails with the following error:

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | --> Wrapper Started as Service

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | Allocating a console for the service.

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x1f)

STATUS | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | <-- Wrapper Stopped

DEBUG  | wrapper  | 2015/03/13 14:51:29 | active log file changed: wrapper.log

I read that somebody else encountered the same issue because the Path variable contained some unresolvable references, but this doesn't seem to be my case.

Any inputs?

Re: ERROR: Unable to allocate a console for the service: A device attached to the system is not functioning

Alexandre Klein
Hi Davide,

I'm sorry for the trouble.
I don't recommend to use the "-s" parameter to start the Wrapper as a service.
In fact, if you execute "wrapper.exe -s..." you should see this message:
The -s and --service commands should only be called by the Windows
ServiceManager to control the Wrapper as a service, and is not
designed to be run manually by the user.

Instead you can use the batch files that we specially created for that. They are located in %WRAPPER_HOME%\src\bin.
Please have a look at this page: http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/launch-win.html

Basically, you should:
- copy the batch files where wrapper.exe is
- rename the batch files
- install the service using the batch file
- start the service using the batch file

I hope this will help you. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
In case you would like to send your configuration file and keep it private, you can contact us here: [hidden email]

Regards,
Alexandre Klein

Alexandre Klein
Tanuki Software, Ltd.