Quantcast

Automatic adaption of detailed JVM parameters like -Xmn to system memory

Automatic adaption of detailed JVM parameters like -Xmn to system memory

Isenberg, Holger
With wrapper.java.maxmemory.percent a fraction of the system memory can be automatically assigned to the JVM to be used as overall heap limit. That is working fine, but for our server software, more specific JVM parameters are required as wrapper.java.additional like -Xmn or -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize or -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize. For now, the values for these parameters are set to absolute numbers by our post-install script.

For automatic app deployment, a setting as fraction like maxmemory.percent is preferable so the process would automatically resize on the next start after the machine memory is increased.

Is someone using a workaround with using wrapper.java.additional_file to set environment variables to be read afterwards or something else to achieve setting percent values in wrapper.java.additional?

--
Holger Isenberg
e-Spirit AG

Re: Automatic adaption of detailed JVM parameters like -Xmn to system memory

Maxime
Holger,

Thank you for your message.

We discussed about the issue you raised and we plan to solve it by introducing a new virtual variable in the next release of the Java Service Wrapper.
The variable will be something like WRAPPER_SYSMEM_<P> where <P> is a percentage of the physical memory available on the system.
You will be able to use it in the wrapper.java.additional parameters for any JVM options that deal with memory.

wrapper.java.additional.x=-Xmx%WRAPPER_SYSMEM_60.0%

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Java Service Wrapper team.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Isenberg, Holger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, that would be a well usable solution for my use-cases!
I'll include it in our default setting as soon as the release is available.