Abercrombie and Fitch Ireland accused of body elitism

Abercrombie and Fitch Ireland accused of body elitism

gregory28

Sex sells. And no brand demonstrates that better than Abercrombie Ireland, the American collegiate fashion company that ushers shirtless male models in its store entrances. It's catalogue, a collection of risque sexy and homoerotic images shot by photographer Bruce Weber adds to its tongue-in-cheek marketing campaign. The aim of course, is to shift huge amounts of product to students and young adults with disposable incomes.

The is in the news this week as it is opening its first outlet store in the UK at McArthurGlen’s Ashford Designer Outlet mall, where it will stock the brand’s full range including men’s, women’s and kid’s.

The other reason the company has been in the news is the re-emergence of accusations that A&F is body elitist, albeit not catering to plus-sized customers, as the Daily Mail reported.

Abercrombie Sale, which currently doesn't make its womenswear above large, or trousers above a size ten, has been accused of purposefully excluding plus-sized customers.

Robin Lewis, co-author of The New Rules of Retail, told Business Insider the retailer's CEO, Mike Jeffries, 'doesn't want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people.'

Clothes are marketed for 'cool kids', not core customers
'He doesn't want his core customers to see people who aren't as hot as them wearing his clothing,' Mr Lewis added. 'People who wear his clothing should feel like they're one of the "cool kids".'

Mr Jeffries told Salon in a 2006 interview: 'That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that.'

Abercrombie Dublin, In 2004, the company was sued for giving positions to white applicants, to the exclusion of minorities; and in June 2009, British student Riam Dean, who was born without a left forearm, won approximately 12,000 dollars in an employment tribunal.

Re: Abercrombie and Fitch Ireland accused of body elitism

Kombie53
Very informative post about Abercrombie and Fitch stylish workout clothes! Personally I believe that we can get the most from exercises by opting for the best clothing for exercising because special workout clothes can help you workout more easily.